In 1875, London's first iron bridge, the Blackfriars Street Bridge, was constructed, replacing a succession of failed wooden structures that had provided the city's only northern road crossing of the river. A rare example of a bowstring truss bridge, it remains open to vehicular traffic. The Blackfriars originally linked London with its western suburb of Petersville, named for the Peters family of Grosvenor Lodge. That community joined with the southern subdivision of Kensington in 1874, and formally incorporated as the municipality of Petersville. Although changing its name in 1880 to the more inclusive "London West", it remained a separate municipality until ratepayers voted for amalgamation with London in 1897. Sour relations between London and London West during the 1880s and 1890s had much to do with serious flooding of the latter, with its lower ground, in 1883, for which some villagers held the city responsible. London's eastern suburb, the aptly named London East, was (and remains) an industrial centre, which also incorporated in 1874. Attaining the status of town in 1881, it continued as a separate municipality until concerns over expensive waterworks and other fiscal problems led to amalgamation in 1885. The southern suburb of London was collectively known as "London South". Never incorporated, it was annexed to the city in 1890. By contrast, the small settlement at Broughdale on the city's north end had clear identity, adjoined the university, and was not annexed until 1961.