Commonly reffered to as Yonge and Egg, or simply Midtown, North Toronto incorporated as a town in 1890. It soon emerged as a popular streetcar suburb, with the area becoming completely developed by the 1940s.
The streetcar was replaced in 1954 by the TTC's Yonge subway as far as Eglinton and Avenue with a trolleybus running north from there. This was replaced by a subway extension in 1973.
Today North Toronto is a relatively affluent community, and very popular with young families. Mount Pleasant Cemetery serves as a major green space for the southern end of the neighbourhood.