Guildwood grew around the historic Guild Inn which was built in 1932. It was a retreat for many artists and artisans. This earned it the name "The Guild of All Arts".
The Guild Inn was used as a naval base during World War II, later acting as a specialized military hospital known as Scarborough Hall. After the war, The Guild Inn was returned to the people and its popularity rose to new heights.
In the 1950's 400 acres of the property belonging to the Guild Inn was sold to developers who built the Guildwood Village neighbourhood. In 1978 the Metropolitan Toronto and Region Conservation Authority purchased the remainder of the Guild Inn estate, to preserve its beauty for everyone to enjoy.