Once referred to as "Hero Town" by its residents, Agincourt was officially founded in 1858 with the erection of its first post office. This post office was secured with help from a Quebec member of parliament who insisted that the town be given a french name. Agincourt began to boom in the late 1800's when two railway lines opened stations here.
Settled by mostly Scottish and English immigrants, Agincourt is now home to one of the largest Asian communities in Toronto. The East Indian and Indo Pakistani community are also well established in Agincourt. This ethnic mix is visible in the many shopping malls in the neighbourhood. The well known Woodside Cinemas regularly screen East Indian, Indo-Pakistani and Chinese films.
Agincourt has a very active gardening community which makes sense since they did develop three types of lilacs, one called the "Agincourt Beauty". Brimley Woods Park is renowned for its brilliant display of trillium flowers that bloom in early May.