The history of Malvern began in 1856, when the Malvern Post Office was opened in David Brown's general store, which stood at the south-east corner of Finch Avenue and Markham Road. This post office was named after a resort town in England.
A year after the post office was opened, Senator David Reesor - formerly of Markham Village - began selling "Village Lots" in Malvern. Reesor trumpeted Malvern as the future "Capital of Scarborough," anticipating that the Grand Trunk Railway would extend a branch line through here. Unfortunately, when the Grand Trunk Railway began service to this area in 1871, it bypassed Malvern in favour of the neighbouring village of Agincourt.
While Malvern never did become a prosperous railway centre, it flourished as a farming community for over one hundred years. In the late 1950's the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation expropriated Malvern's farms to build a "model community" of affordable homes. The first residents of this modern day Malvern community moved into their homes in 1972.
The former Malvern Schoolhouse, built in 1872, is still standing today at 5810 Finch Avenue, and is now a private school.