The Don Mills area was first settled by Europeans in 1817. The Don River provided an easy means of transportation, and also a source of power for a number of mills along its length.
First known as the "Yorktown" community, Don Mills was a planned neighbourhood developed by industrialist E.P. Taylor in the early 1950s.
The plan was to create and divide the community into four neighbourhood quadrants, all surrounding a regional shopping centre. Each quadrant was to contain a school, a church, and a park. This was to be surrounded by a greenbelt protecting the surrounding ravines.