The name Toronto is derived from an Iroquois term meaning 'where there are trees in water' in reference to a weir for catching fish. Toronto gradually came to refer to a larger region that includes the site of the present city.
This city was originally named “Fort Edmonton” by the Hudson Bay Company in 1795 when it was used as a fur-trading post. It became incorporated as the City of Edmonton in 1904.
The Cree named the lake to the north “Win” (muddy) and “nipee” (water). In 1873, Winnipeg was incorporated as a city.
The origin of the city’s name, Québec, comes from the Algonquin language “narrow passage” or “straight”. Originally, it was used to describe the narrowing of the St. Lawrence near the current site of the City of Québec.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The city adopted its name from Lord Halifax, the president of the British Board of Trade. The name was chosen in 1749 when approximately 2500 settlers landed on the Chebucto peninsula to establish a permanent settlement.
Cree hunters stacked buffalo bones in the area of Regina, and named it Oskana-Ka-asateki or "the place where bones are piled." Early explorers, fur traders and settlers called the area “Pile of Bones.” It was decided in 1882 when the town began to grow that it required a more regal name. Princess Louise suggested that the town be named Regina in honour of her mother and the reigning monarch, Queen Victoria.
St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
There is some disagreement regarding the history behind how St. John’s acquired its name. The most widely accepted explanation comes from the Portuguese explorer Gaspar Corte-Real, who recorded the area as Rio de San Johem in 1519. The earliest recording of the modern day spelling came from an English merchant who travelled to Newfoundland in the 1570’s.
Victoria, British Columbia
Victoria started as a trading post founded by the Hudson Bay Company in March 1843 and was officially named as “Fort Victoria”, after Queen Victoria. In 1852, the name was changed to “Victoria” and it was incorporated as a city in 1862.
Fredericton, New Brunswick
This city was originally called “Ste. Anne’s Point” until 1785. Governor Thomas Carleton assigned it the name “Fredericstown” after Prince Frederick, Duke of York. Shortly after this it was shortened to the name Fredericton.
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
In 1764, Captain Samuel Holland was appointed as Surveyor-General for the British Empire and tasked with surveying Britain’s newly acquired land in North America. He arrived on Prince Edward Island (then called Island of St. John) and recommended both the current location of Charlottetown as well as the name “Charlotte Town” to honour Queen Charlotte, wife of George III of England.